Labels

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Untitled.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/17/sports/swimming-against-the-storm.html?src=recg
After reading these three essays written by the Japanese with their feelings from the March 11, I just had this urge to blog.
Am feeling emotional after reading the essays. Maybe I'm just emotional today. But whatever.
There's three essays. That link's the third. The first two can be found in the report in the link.


Honestly, I don't really know what I'm going to blog about.
But there's these emotions in me that I want to push against.


When Japan was having the Earthquake on March 11, I was in school.
I was sitting in front of the computer scrolling through twitter in the studio room.
I started seeing pictures and tweets from people who were going through the disaster.
More reports started appearing.
At that time, we were preparing for our final year's exhibition. When I saw those reports and tweets, I told my classmates. But it was not until I read the essays from nytimes, that I realised how different our emotions were. I'm getting a little weak in expressing my emotions through words here, but I'll do my best.

In the studio room, we were all rushing through the works that we need to prepare and complete. I was worried for the people in Japan. The disaster and worry they were going through. But now, I realised that... we're just way too fortunate. To be honest. My friends were not worried. They didn't seem to care. Just talking about it makes me feel like......

I started RT-ing tweets on Twitter. A classmate tweeted indirectly that she keeps seeing those Japan-related tweets and that no one cares about what's going on at the other side of the world. I told her that that isn't true. I was just RT-ing what I see, and yes, if there were tweets that serious from the other side of the world, I'd RT them too; I'd share them. I wasn't sure if she saw my reply. Because I found out that she blocked me after that. I figured that the person she meant who was mentioning a lot about the Japan's March 11 was me. Because I was the only person who likes Japan and is on Twitter. The next day, she was cold towards me when I attempted to help her with something.
But this isn't important.

What I honestly, truly, really want to express is that.
Wherever things are happening, whatever is going on.
We don't know the "truth" of it. Because we're not experiencing them. We're not there to witness. We don't feel them.
It felt stupid. That there were people who were nonchalant about what's happening on the other side of the world. That. It feels so. Inhuman.
There were also people (some classmates) who joked about the disaster.
I do not relate myself to these people. But I feel shameful.


There's a huge mixture and emotions going through me now.
To better not confuse myself or anyone. I'll just end with this.
The world is more than what you think you know. There's a lot more going out there. There's people experiencing more than what you think you know. In a way, we're already lucky. We will never be able to understand what's going on out there. Never.
Those essays. I hope my readers will read them. And not just plainly read, but try to understand and feel, that emotion, that hope, that urge, they're trying to portray.

And for those who are thinking "she just loves Japan, that's why she's protesting so much"
Screw you.
I may love Japan. But if you were to compare them with what me, in Singapore, have now. I'll just say that they're going through way more. They're way more brilliant. They're strong. They're always fighting.

Last but not least.
To those who said that Japan deserved what they had on March 11 because of history.
I just hope. That there is a LITTLE TINY WINY BIT OF BRAIN left. For you to actually notice that they're humans too. JUST LIKE YOU.

No comments: